Las Vegas, Nevada (NAPSI) - Investing a little time and effort to create a safer environment for a senior can pay dividends when it comes to preventing falls.
This is significant, since falls that result in injury are one of the more serious threats faced by seniors. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), one out of three older adults (65 or older) falls each year. In 2010, 2.3 million nonfatal fall injuries among older adults were treated in emergency rooms; 662,000 of those patients were hospitalized.
To help, here are some tips from stylist, designer and host of the HGTV show “Secrets from a Stylist,” Emily Henderson.
She stresses that when considering a space for a senior citizen, it’s important to put thought into the little things, such as the shape of a counter or color of a duvet.
“The fact is that seniors and older adults are more prone to safety hazards and falls at home due to low balance, low vision and poor furniture choices,” says Henderson.
An expert on teaching her viewers and clients how to manipulate spaces to serve a purpose, she suggests the following:
• Get well rounded—Oval or circular tables without glass tops help keep rooms open and safe.
• Light the way—Place soft lighting near the bed and ensure that cords are tucked away to prevent tripping.
• Provide colorful contrasts—Walls, trim and floors should be in neutral or warm colors and should stand out from each other.
• Give bedding a boost—Create an inviting bed with pillows, throws and upholstery in different textures that contrast with the wall color.
• Stylize the storage—Add storage with an ottoman that has a hidden compartment or surface trays to minimize clutter in the space.
Henderson puts her tips into practice through her partnership with Sunrise Senior Living, which offers assisted living communities for seniors around the country. As part of the partnership, Sunrise holds an annual Suite Style Contest, in which a member of the Sunrise community can win a complete makeover of his or her suite from Henderson.
“Emily’s design tips and philosophy align closely with our goal of creating each Sunrise suite with comfort, convenience and safety in mind,” said Jeff Fischer, head of Operations. “We’re thrilled to be able to partner with Emily and offer our residents the chance to win a personalized suite.”
To learn more, visit www.sunriseseniorliving.com.