Las Vegas, Nevada - The Clark County Medical Society is set to host The Opioid Epidemic and its Impact on Local Healthcare Providers Town Hall, a collaboration with the Las Vegas Medical District (LVMD), Nevada State Medical Association (NSMA), University Medical Center (UMC), PACT Coalition and the Clark County Medical Society Alliance (CCMSA) at the Las Vegas City Hall Council Chambers on Tuesday, December 5th from 5:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. in an effort to educate Nevada's physicians, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, Residents and Fellows on all topics revolving around Nevada's new legislation ABA474. AB474 passed in response to opioid abuse and overdoses. Nevada has the fourth highest overdose mortality rate, 20.7 per 100,00 residents in 2010. ABA474 goes into effect January 1, 2018.
The Honorable Mayor, Carolyn Goodman, will make a special appearance to welcome the over 300 expected attendees. Elected officials and their representatives throughout Nevada will be in attendance as special guests. Doors will open at 5:00 p.m. for the program's reception and registration, with the program beginning promptly at 6:00 p.m.
The program's panel of experts will include:
- Julia Peek, MHA, CPM, Deputy Administrator, Community Services, Nevada Department of Health and Human Services, Division of Public and Behavioral Health
- Elyse Monroy, Health and Human Services Policy Analyst, Serves the Office of Governor Brian Sandoval, Nevada Governor
- Daniel Burkhead, M.D., AB474 Clinical Educator Interventional Pain Management Physician
- Stephanie Woodard, Psy.D, Licensed Psychologist, DHHS Senior Advisor on Behavioral Health, State of Nevada
- J. David (Dave) Wuest, R.Ph., Deputy Executive Secretary, Nevada Board of Pharmacy
- Edward O. Cousineau, J.D., Executive Director, Nevada State Board of Medical Examiners
- Sandy Reed, Executive Director, MPA, Nevada State Board of Osteopathic Medicine
Topics that will be touched on include: the reasoning behind the bill, the epidemiology of opioid abuse, the national framework of the bill, practical application of the bill, rules, regulations, how it will affect practices along with many other topics.