Carson City, Nevada - At the November, 2012 meeting of the Nevada State Board of Examiners, Christina Demopoulos, DDS, was appointed to the position of State Dental Director. This new position was created to provide a professional spokesperson for Nevada’s Oral Health Program. The Oral Health Program oversees the oral health needs of Nevadans including surveillance and evaluation, fluoridation, dental sealants, education and support.
Dr. Demopoulos is uniquely qualified for the position with her dental degree, a Master of Public Health, and her current position as Assistant Professor at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas Dental School. She is currently enrolled in a doctoral program for board certification in Public Health Dentistry.
Duties of the State Dental Director include:
- Providing the Oral Health Advisory Committee and the Health Division with advice concerning public dental health
- Making recommendations to the Oral Health Advisory Committee, the Health Division and the Legislature regarding public dental health programs in Nevada
- Serving as liaison between the Oral Health Program and professional organizations such as the ADA and boards
- Assisting with the Nevada Chronic Disease Summit
- Preparing a report on Oral Health in the State of Nevada
“We feel especially fortunate to have Dr. Demopoulos on board,” said Deborah Harris, Chief of the Bureau of Child, Family and Community Wellness. “Her qualifications are exceptional and she cares deeply about the need for prevention efforts for tobacco use and caries control.”
Dr. Demopoulos has a long history of community involvement. She currently oversees a program called Seal Nevada South which is involved with oral health education, oral hygiene instruction, oral health screenings, oral cancer screenings and fluoride varnish.